Frequently Asked Questions
About Oregon PowerNow Cordless Chainsaws
1. How long does the battery last?
An Endurance battery pack will last approximately 250 cuts per charge in 2 to 3 inch (5-7cm) diameter limbs. This performance may vary with user technique, chain sharpness, size and type of wood.
A Standard battery pack will last approximately 50% of an Endurance battery pack. Cuts per charge will drop significantly with increasing diameter of wood.
2. How long does the battery take to charge?
A completely discharged Endurance battery pack will take approximately 120 minutes to charge, while a Standard battery pack will take approximately 60 minutes.
3. How many times can the battery be recharged?
Both Endurance and Standard battery packs use premium cell technology and will last for approximately 1000 charge / discharge cycles.
4. How fast does the saw cut?
With an Endurance battery pack, in 2 to 3 inch (5-7cm) diameter limbs, the cordless chainsaw will make a cut in approximately 1 second. In 3 to 6 inch (7-15 cm) diameter limbs, the chainsaw will take approximately 4 seconds, while large 8 to 10 inch (20-25 cm) diameter cuts will take approximately 25 seconds. This performance may vary with user technique, chain sharpness, and hardness of the wood. Cutting speeds with a Standard battery pack are very similar in small diameter limbs.
5. What is the difference between Endurance and Standard batteries?
An Endurance battery pack offers increased capacity as it has 20 individual lithium ion cells, while a Standard battery pack has 10 cells.
An Endurance battery pack weighs 2.7 lb (1.2 kg), while a Standard battery pack weighs 1.7 lb (0.8 kg). In the Oregon PowerNow cordless chainsaw model CS250, an Endurance battery pack also offers increased power for faster cutting speed in large diameter wood.
6. What is the difference between lithium ion and other batteries?
Batteries with lithium ion chemistry have four advantages over other power tool batteries.
• High power density: lithium ion battery cells have both high power and light weight
• No fade: lithium ion batteries deliver constant power throughout the pack discharge
• No memory effect: charge maintenance and full discharge are not necessary to retain consistent capacity throughout battery pack lifetime
• Always ready: lithium ion batteries stay charged for months when left off the charger
7. What is PowerSharp® (the red lever) and how does it work?
The chainsaw has a built-in chain sharpening system. When the chain is dull or not cutting fast enough: bring the chainsaw to full speed, simply pull the red lever for 3 to 5 seconds, and the chain will work like new. Depending on how much the chain was damaged prior to sharpening, expect approximately 10 to 20 resharpenings on an individual PowerSharp chain.
8. Can a non-PowerSharp® type chain be used on the saw?
Yes. Other chains can be used on the cordless chainsaw; however, the integrated sharpening feature will only work with PowerSharp chain. When installing another chain type, remove the sharpening stone as non-PowerSharp chains can be damaged by operating the red
lever when a sharpening stone is installed. OREGON® 91PX chain is recommended as an alternate chain.
9. Can I put a shorter or longer guide bar on the saw?
It is not recommended to install a guide bar longer than 14 inches (35 cm). The Oregon PowerNow cordless chainsaw has been designed with a 14 inch (35 cm) guide bar as the optimal length. Performance will decrease with a longer guide bar. Shorter guide bars with an A041 tail mount can be fitted to the chainsaw.